1. TONY THANK YOU FOR AGREEING TO SIT IN OUR BARBER CHAIR, NOT ALL OUR READERS WILL KNOW WHO YOU ARE CAN YOU TELL US MORE ABOUT YOURSELF PLEASE.
I am Tony Copeland
Barber, of many years & Owner of The Golden Scissors in Dorking Surrey,
Master Educator, 20+ years Teacher, Lecturer & Assessor at Central Sussex College
My wife & daughter are both hairdressers & my son Anthony works as a barber in our family business along with being a BMB ambassador. I am proud to have mentored & inspired hundreds of qualified barbers at Central Sussex College who have continued successful careers in the industry. Hairdressing Council member since 1983. Institute for Learning affiliate and one of The British Master Barber Alliance founders.
2. YOU'VE BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK A COUPLE OF TIMES NOW TONY FROM A TRAINEE IN MAYFAIR ,BEING OFFERED A GOVERNMENT TRAINING COURSE IN WADDON BEFORE JUMPING SHIP AND CONTINUING YOUR CAREER WORKING IN CROYDON AND VICTORIA, IN ADDITION TO THIS YOUR ALSO AN ADVISOR TO TV AND FILM COMPANIES, A LECTURER AND ASSESSOR AND OF COURSE THE FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE BRITISH MASTER BARBERS ALLIANCE, WHAT'S BEEN THE BEST PART OF YOUR CAREER TO DATE AND WHY?
Of course you would never be in this business if you did not love people & I am definitely a people person with a huge following built over almost 50 years.
I like each client to feel valued & special. After so many years the clients are not just customers anymore but they become ones loyal friends. I feel very privileged to have shared in many confidential discussions some wonderful, some funny & some extremely sad life stories with them all.
I have tried to be a sympathetic non judgemental listening ear when there has been nobody else for them. I believe most Barbers are akin to unpaid counsellors. If you feel depressed go & have a nice haircut with a shampoo, head massage, dry & finish with & cup of coffee & a chat & you will definitely go out feeling better than when you came into the barbershop.
That is the best part of my Barbering career !
3. SO THE BRITISH MASTER BARBERS WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT, WHAT DOES IT COST AND WHAT BENEFITS CAN MEMBERS TAKE ADVANTAGE OFF.
The British Master Barbers Alliance is a not for profit alliance of barbers across the UK all of whom are serious about the commitment to high standards in the British barbering industry. Our aim is to support qualified and skilled barbers & barbershops. The money raised goes on to help support the continued work and support the Alliance offers.
Benefits of membership include, Membership Certificate, Free listing on The Good Barbershop Guide, Business Support, Discounted App Creation, Free Job Adverts, Free Subscription to Barber Magazines, Social Media Advice, Use of Logo, Promotion of our Members, Mystery Shopper
Opportunity to apply for Higher Status Accreditations and much more
Check it out at www.Britishmasterbarbers.com
4. WE SEE YOU HAVE SOME GREAT AMBASSADORS BANGING THE INDUSTRY DRUM, WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING SOMEONE TO REPRESENT THE BMB AND OUR INDUSTRY.
Of course we never stop learning, myself included but a true Master is somebody who is eminent in their skill, craft or profession & has the selfless ability to pass on their knowledge to educate others. The British Master Barbers Alliance wishes to identify & recognise the inspired contributions, commitments & skills of these special people. Our Ambassadors reflect all these great qualities that we are proudly striving to achieve !
5. WERE LESS THAN TWO MONTHS AWAY FROM MASTER BARBER LIVE WHERE WE WILL SEE DARRYN PITMAN, KEVIN VORLEY, CHRIS MOON THE BOYS FROM BALDYS BARBERS AND THE GUERRILLAS ALL ON THE STAGE, WHAT CAN WE GAIN FROM ATTENDING THE EVENT AND HOW DO WE GET TICKETS.
By attending “ British Master Barbers Live “ I would like to think that our visitors will connect & network with like minded Barbers & have a great time !
Watching our specially selected team of stage & platform artists demonstrating some fresh new, traditional & creative ideas that hopefully will inspire you to see & learn new things & maybe upskill yourself to gain the higher respect that Barbers deserve. There will also be an opportunity to meet & buy products from the traders that are passionate about our industry on the day & if you are lucky you could go home with some wonderful prizes & giveaways.
6. TONY STEERING AWAY FROM THE BMB FOR A MINUTE THERE ARE VARIOUS ISSUES SURROUNDING THE INDUSTRY, UNQUALIFIED BARBERS POPPING UP ALL OVER THE PLACE, BARBER SHOP PRICING BEING LOWER THAN THAT OF HAIRDRESSERS AND LETS PICK PRICING WHAT DO YOU CHARGE FOR A HAIRCUT AT THE GOLDEN SCISSORS, WHAT VALUE FOR MONEY DOES THE CUSTOMER GET AND HOW OFTEN DO YOU REVIEW YOUR PRICING.
My shop The Golden Scissors is off the main drag in Dorking Surrey so our prices have to reflect that. I have never been the cheapest or the most expensive, So, our prices sit in the middle at £13.50.We achieve our success by giving a great fun customer experience when possible boosted by our extra services & stock an interesting range of popular products with our own GS brand range too. I have been in business so long & I have seen many others come & go. I increase the prices when business dictates it & never worry too much what my competitors are doing in the town as I concentrate only on my own business.
7. SO WITH OVER 44 YEARS IN THE INDUSTRY YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE, SAYING THIS WHERE DO YOU THINK BOTH YOURSELF AND THE INDUSTRY WILL BE IN FIVE YEARS TIME.
These are exciting times for our Barbering industry & until the Haircut Machine is invented we humans will have an important position to fulfil by physically cutting our clients hair. New tools, products & techniques have have progressed through history so there is no reason to doubt they will not continue to do so.A big challenge facing our craft is that historically it`s been unable to self regulate itself & it will require attitudes to change in the future. I joined the Hairdressing Council in 1983 on the understanding that a barbershop owner should have a recognised qualification in the business they run this has not yet happened.
However, there is hope for some skilled Barbers who have no official qualification as the Hair Council will allow Grandfathers rights by time who prove training in a salon with a letter of endorsement from somebody in a position of authority endorsing a minimum six years working.
In the future we will be looking to further showcase British Master Barbers & are on constant watch for our future stars. 8. SO WE KNOW YOUR BOTH A LECTURER AND ASSESSOR WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE IF YOU WERE ASKED WOULD YOU GIVE TO ANYONE ENTERING THE INDUSTRY.
It is impossible to offer only one piece of advice, become qualified & regularly update your learning skills, Have a sense of humour & don`t take yourself too seriously, Take the time to make each & every client feel special. Some advice I was once given is never try build your business up by running someone else’s down !
9. OK WE'VE HAD A REAL GOOD INSIGHT IN TO TONY COPELAND BUT NOW WE WANT TO KNOW WHEN HE TAKES A DAY OFF WHAT DOES HE DO TO RELAX.
Time with the family is very important. It's very easy to be drawn into the barbering lifestyle but sometimes you need to take a break.
10. LAST QUESTION WE PROMISE, AS WE'VE PREVIOUSLY FOUND OUT YOU HAVE BEEN IN THE INDUSTRY FOR OVER FORTY YEARS, IN ALL THIS TIME WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IS YOUR FAVOURITE ERA AND WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE STYLE
Short Back & Sides, Ducktails, Pompadours, Rockabilly, Beatles, Bowie, Rod Stewart, Beckham, Mullets, Shaggy Perms, Afro, Braids, Corn Rows, Dreadlocks, Devil Lock, Long Perms, Spikes, Punk, Mohawk, Rat Tail, Bowl Cut, Flat Top, Hi Top, Glam, Side part, Fade, Horse Shoe, Undercut, Faux hawk, Emo, Buzz Cut, Crew Cut, Skinhead, Patterns, Fades, Textured Top, Beards, Moustaches & even the original Comb overs.
From 1971 until now I really have enjoyed everyone !
What does the future bring who knows but the humble back street Barbershop has always been real place where Mens fashions are created !